Each home will never run perfectly without household items. This starts with the littlest pieces of pillowcases, tissue rolls, curtain, and many others. Just like our home appliances and gadgets, household items gather our lives together. We may not notice, but yes! They create a big relevance in our lives. Imagine living without tissue paper? Sleeping with bed sheets, pillows, and pillow covers? Hard isn’t it? Life is never comfortable and convenient without them.
Homeowners are naturally busy, which gives a reason why these household items are left out. They are often neglected and not properly replenished or replaced. See as we check if areyou replacing household items often enough?
1. In the kitchen
Our first stop, the Kitchen! This is the number one place in our homes where most household items are not properly replaced. Most of them are our kitchen cleaning items.
- Dishwashing Sponge and Brushes: Landing first is dishwashing sponge and brushes. We use them to clean up our dishes. But are we sure that they stay clean? It is advisable that each sponge should only be used or replaced once in a month. It is also good to use a separate sponge for those dishes used from cutting proteins like pork, beef, chicken, and fish. This practice will help us get rid of cross-contamination from viruses.
- Hand towels: This lovely household item makes sure that our hands are clean and dry when we move around the kitchen. We usually hang them in refrigerator handles and even on cupboards. You should at least throw these hand towels into the washing machine every once in a week. This prevents it to be dirty and stops further spread of bacteria and viruses wiped on it.
- Water Filters: Some have it, some don’t. Water filter purifies the water we use inside our kitchen, especially for cooking. It is advisable not for you to wait until the filter turns gray. You should be checking and replacing it once on a month.
2. In the bathroom
Most people are guilty that bathroom is their favorite place inside the house. It is where we usually spend time cleaning and comforting ourselves. It is so much fun to spend time in the bathroom, but are we replacing these bathroom items often enough?
- Toothbrushes: Yes, oral hygiene is important. The toothbrush makes it possible. According to dentists, toothbrushes should be replaced at least once in three months. This ensures that we are using a clean and strong brush to clean our teeth.
- Body Towels: Keeping us dry after every bath is the responsibility of body towels. We might hang them dry and think that it is all good to go for the next bath. This is wrong! The idea of sun drying, or air hanging the towel just dry it. It means, that there are still a lot of particles along with it. As we hang it dry, it collects more allergens are particles that might get us into skin rashes and asthma attacks.
- Loofah or Body Scrubs: As we scrub ourselves dirt and skin particles come along with our loofahs. They may not be easily torn, loofahs should be replaced at least once in two months. By replacing it this often, we ensure that we are not putting back all of our dead skin cells into our bodies. A total cleanup right?
- Water Heaters: Sounds odd, but the list does include water heaters. It does not mean that since it is here, it has to be replaced. It should be a habit to have your water heaters checked for its maintenance and proper function. By having it checked you are ensured to have this item run the service of heating water for a longer time than what it is ought to be.
3. In the bedroom
After a long day, there is nothing best than a good bed and pillows. Check out on how often some of your bedroom items should be replaced to ensure a good bedroom hygiene and orderliness.
- Bed / Bed sheets: Beds of whatever type should be replaced to. As the days and night go by, bed accumulates dust and other particles which might cause allergic reactions and even bad smell. It should be replaced every ten years. While bed sheets on the other hands, should not be covering your bed for more than 2 weeks.
- Pillow / Pillowcases: A good pair of pillow makes a good sleep. To make sure that you’ll be getting a comfortable sleep, you should at least wash pillows once a month, and pillowcases once in a week. It is not only for hygiene purposes, but also makes sure that you will be comfortable in having a good sleep with clean pillows and pillow cases.
- Blankets/Comforters/Duvet: We might think that duvet covers and comforters should stay in our beds for a long time. But do you know that as much as we keep them intact with the bed, the more it absorbs moisture from body sweat and specks of dust? So to get away with this problem, it is advisable to change the duvet covers and comforters even blankets once a month.
4. In the living room
If House members are up to entertainment and multimedia, surely the living room is a good haven. There are also some items here that need to be replaced momentarily, and it includes:
- Couch / Sofa: you might be surprised why this household item is included in the list. Yes, in the long run, a couch and sofa might deteriorate and act as a breeding ground for mites, fleas, and even dust. As it age, it is also vulnerable to wear and tear which might cause posture problems. It is advisable to change couch once in every 5 years. For pet owners who have their pets using the couch or sofa with them, you must change it after three years.
- Carpets: This household item does not only add good looking mats inside our houses. It also serves a good cushion for our feet while we are inside the house. As the years go by, since it is covered by either cotton and other weaving materials, it becomes a dust trap which might cause an asthmatic and allergic reaction to prone people. So to get away with it, change or clean the carpet once in six months.
Air conditioner Filters: If the home has a centralized cooling system, it is more prone to specks of dust and other damaging particles. To ensure that you are circulating a fresh and cool air inside the house, you should at least have your air conditioners checked once every three months. By following this practice you can even save up money by having an efficiently performing air conditioner at home.