Home appliances such as refrigerator, electric or gas cooker, washing machine, dryer, and dishwasher, among others may have a lifespan of 8 to 10 years. However, you can extend their lifespan to 12 to 15 years provided they are well taken care of.
Stretching out their lifespan can save you from buying fresh ones and spare you tons of money that you can use for other functions. To guide you on how to expand the lifespan of the following appliances, you may do the following ways:
Refrigerator and Freezer
- Clean your refrigerator and freezer regularly. Use baking soda with a mixture of water to clean the inside and outside of your refrigerator. Likewise, you may also clean your freezer with a baking soda solution and rinse it with clean water. Pat it dry with a clean towel. Also, keep in mind that you have to unplug your refrigerator and freezer before cleaning them.
- Experts say that to keep your refrigerator running for many years you have to clean its condenser coils. Dirty or dusty coils can obstruct the airflow causing it to overheat and break down. Get a coil brush or a vacuum and dust off the coils. This will not only expand its lifespan but can also make it run in good condition.
- Wipe clean the gasket of your refrigerator and apply a thin film of Vaseline. The gasket is the plastic strip that seals the refrigerator and doors. It must be maintained and stay elastic by cleaning it periodically.
Electric/ Gas Cooker
- Do not spray water on the knobs of your electric cooker. The knobs are connected to the electrical controls and may cause a short circuit when you spray water or cleaning fluid on them. You may rather use a rag or paper towel to wipe down the knobs.
- Use warm water or vinegar to clean your electric or gas cooker if you are not sure which cleaner you are going to use. In one case, if you have chosen a wrong substance of cleaner, it may damage the burners of your electric or gas cooker.
- Remove the dust and grease on your electric or gas cooker’s coils or cables regularly. Greasy coils may also cause a fire.
- Clean the charcoal filter of your cooker from time to time and replace it if needed.
- Do not overload your washing machine. You must load it with just the right quantity of clothes. In one case, if you have overloaded it with many clothes, its lids will have trouble closing. Do not cover the whole window of the front load washer with clothes. You will also know if your washing machine is overloaded when it is banging around when you run it.
- Likewise, do not under load as well your washing machine because it can off-balance your washing machine and may strain its drive components. Also, it’s a waste of water and energy.
- Clean the detergent dispenser drawer regularly with a rag or just simply run it with water.
- Do not overload your clothes dryer just like the washing machine. Overloading it can also strain its parts and will not work efficiently in drying the clothes.
- It is also advisable to use an auto-dry setting if your dryer has one. It can release heat just as needed and prevent overheating. Also, it can reduce the use of energy.
- Make sure that the external vent cap is not clogged with lint and dust. Hence, you must clean the vent cap regularly to make the air flow smoothly and makes the dryer run efficiently. It will also prevent damage to the dryer’s motor and thermostats.
- If your dishwasher has a removable filter, you should clean it and remove food particles or other stains on it. This will prevent the dishwasher from clogging the filter.
- As well, clean the door gaskets and door frames of your dishwasher to avoid leaks.
- Do not use dish soap to clean your dishwasher because it can affect its performance. Instead, use dish detergent.
- It is better that you do not prewash your dishes before putting them in a dishwasher. This is because prewashing can make the dishwasher over sud. There will be too much soap that will be left in the dishwasher.
- Place your dishwasher on level ground. You must also install the leveling legs of the dishwasher properly or screw them correctly based on the level of the ground. In one case, you have not installed them properly, it will generate vibration issues that might affect your dishwasher’s machine and the dishes.
Doing the above ways can prevent your appliances from being damaged and indeed can extend their lifespans to more years. Likewise, make sure that you do not abuse or overuse your appliances. In one instance, your appliances will not work or damage, you may also call an experienced and reliable home appliance technician to fix them right away. This repair will improve the performance of your appliances and can stretch their lifespans.