Leaky pipes & taps are something not to be happy about. Plumber or not, you must be aware of certain common reasons of tap leak. While most leaking taps have tell-tale signs externally. It is important to know your faucet behaviour to spot any hidden damage:
1. Look for signs of damage –There are often small signs that something isn’t quite right. You would often be able to spot creaky leaky pipes leading to a tap – these include little drips below a tap or a wash-basin, rusting, buckling, or some wall seepage around your taps. These are ultimate warning signs to immediately activate plumbing services, or someone who knows what they’re doing.
2. Keep the pipes warm – This may not very relevant in Singapore due to the hot weather, external piping is still very vulnerable to low freezing temperatures at times. Under such situations, water turns into ice which increases the volume of the water. This is the most common reason why pipes crack open. Make sure you wrap your pipes with an insulating material, or cloth if your pipes are generally exposed to cold temperature to avoid this. The alternative option is to leave the faucet slightly open. The dripping flow of water is sufficient to prevent water from freezing.
3. Worn down washers – Even though a house may be very well-maintained, over time, washers found in plumbing equipment usually wear off. If these washers fail, be sure to be prepared to encounter a leaking tap! You will probably need plumbing services to help fix it. Always check your tap spigots and faucets for drips to save cost on utilities!
4. Cartridge damage – Cartridge damages can be easy to fix if they are noticed on its early stage. Plumbers usually recommend replacing a new one and retrofitting them in the exact spot where the damaged one is found. However, in case of a mechanical damage, it is best to shut off the water supply. Go for a tap replacement. It is important to note here that you use a cartridge of matching dimensions as a replacement. You can also just get a professional plumber to take care of it.
5. Water Pressure – A homeowner may often find that his leaking faucet only occurs at certain times of the day, or a particular pattern over a week. It may be worth considering whether the water pressure in the leaking faucet is too high. High pressure usually prevents water from flowing away beyond a certain point. This then leads the water to well up in the pipeline. This causes the nearest available outlet, a tap or a toilet overflow tank, to give way. These then results in a leaking tap. If your flooring is wood or carpet, this may cause even further damage to your home. To solve this problem, adjusting the water pressure is needed for a better water flow across the pipes. These will prevent a leaking tap from happen again.
So there you have it, the common reasons of having leaky pipes & taps! So go ahead and ensure that the plumbing services are activated in time to prevent these water damages. What other things do you think are relevant?